Sweet and Sour Pork Chops with Stir Fried Veggies
"Tender pan fried pork chops, smothered in a flavoursome homemade sweet and sour sauce accompanied by stir fry veg and fried pineapple. It is easy to prepare, doesn’t take much of your time and delivers a tasty meal for the crowds." - Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Biltong@ZA Test Drive Comments:
Another great recipe from Anina! No more scary pink sweet and sour sauce from the supermarket or Chinese takeaway. This is sweet and sour as it should be, with the chilli and fresh ginger giving it a great bite.
- First, heat the butter in a wok and sauté the ginger, chillies and garlic.
- Add half of the pineapple, half of the green, red and yellow pepper and sauté until soft. Add the balsamic vinegar, mix and remove from heat. Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside. (If you find your sauce a bit dry, just add another glug of vinegar while you blend.)
- In the same wok, heat a few glugs of olive oil and stir fry the rest of the peppers, the carrots & the peas - sauté these vegetables until soft, but still firm.
- Remove from pan, and add the rest of the pineapple slices, sauté them until they caramelized and turn colour. Set aside.
- For the pork chops, rub them with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add a little olive oil to a pan and fry for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and add spoons of sweet and sour sauce, basting each chop.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and continue to bake for another 5 – 10 minutes until the skin becomes crispy. (You might need to turn on your grill to get things really nice and crispy)
- To serve, place the veggies on the plate first, top with chops, pineapple and more sweet and sour goodness on the side.