Roast Leg of Lamb with Mint Pesto
"Cooking this leg of lamb put me right back to my childhood where making lazy, slow baked roasts for Sunday lunch was the norm. My mom used to have her leg of lamb in the oven before we even had our church clothes on, and the smell lingering in the kitchen as we got back from town was, well, like the one you will get ONLY from a roasted leg of lamb in the oven. " - Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Biltong@ZA Test Drive Comments:
This is the perfect special occasion recipe - minimal effort, maximum deliciousness. This amazingly tender lamb is perfect for wowing your nearest and dearest.
Serves: 4 (with leftovers)
First off, preheat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius.
- Place the leg of lamb in an oven safe casserole dish and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the thyme and rosemary, cover and leave in the oven for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours of cooking time, remove the lid. Add the sweet potato, onions and whole garlic in the casserole dish.
- Roast for another 2 hours, checking the vegetables every now and then.
You can remove the veggies if they are done before cooking time.
- Then, in the meantime, heat the butter in a saucepan and gently sauté the baby carrots until caramelized. Remove from pan.
- Add the rest of the butter, and gently fry the grated cauliflower. Season with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- For the pesto, simply combine the mint, almonds, garlic, parmesan, olive oil and seasoning in a pestle and mortar and grind until you have a rustic paste.
- After roasting time, remove the leg of lamb, place on a platter and cut. Serve with mint pesto and all the trimmings.