Harissa Steak Roll with Caramelised Onions
"It is the ideal meal for a lazy Saturday next to the pool, cracking open a few cold ones and spending some quality time with a few buddies after your creative and successful week at work " - Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Biltong@ZA Test Drive Comments:
We gave this recipe 5 stars out of a possible 5 star rating. A delicious, quick and impressive meal; especially if your rump is beautifully tender.
- First, rub the steak with olive oil & heat a grill pan until very hot. – Or hit the steak on the braai – Sear the steak on both sides for a few minutes, until done. Mine was medium rare by the way… Season with salt and black pepper and leave to rest
- Then, in a food processor, add all the ingredients for the harissa paste – and blend until smooth. Your paste can last for up to four days in the fridge. (and is super delicious with pasta, eggs or just plain anything).
- In the meantime you can heat your oil in a saucepan for your caramelized onions, adding the onions by loosening their rings.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes on high until they change colour. Turn down the heat, and cook for another few minutes until they become sticky and soft. Add the balsamic vinegar, mix, cook for one more minute and set aside.
- Now you can slice your steak into slivers, assemble your sarmie and get the good times rolling.
- To assemble your steak, you can layer your ingredients as you please. I used lettuce first, followed by the succulent steak, harissa sauce, onions and garnish.
- You get two huge steak rolls out of this recipe, that can easily be halved to serve four. You have got to try this one before our summer braai season is done.