Boerewors and Roasted Tomato Risotto
"If you are dude, living on your own, you probably have boerewors in your freezer right now. So dudes, this one is for you. Surprise the love of your life, or your buds to a delicious dinner. They won’t believe it." - Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Biltong@ZA Test Drive Comments:
Four out of five stars for this classy twist on "boerekos". For those who might be afraid of risotto as something that they haven't tried making, rest assured, if you can stir you'll get it right! Really yummy comfort food, with a regte egte South African twist!
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and brown the wors on both sides, add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and cover to cook. Remove wors from pan. Set aside to cool.
- Add melted butter to the same pan (leave the delicious fatty wors goodness behind) and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the rice and sauté for another few minutes.
- Deglaze the pan by adding the wine, reduce the heat and cook until all the liquid has been used up. Gradually add the stock little by little until the rice is sticky and al dente. Season. (Make sure that you season right at the end, as your stock may have salt in it and you don't want it to be too salty.)
- In the meantime add the tomatoes to an oven safe tray, drizzle with olive oil and grill until broken and soft.
- Cut the wors in 5cm rounds and add it to the risotto, as well as the tomatoes. Serve with parmesan.