Biltong and Blue/Feta Cheese Salad with Candied Pecans
"Traditional with a touch of elegance and class, Biltong and Blue Cheese Salad with Candied Pecans will have your guests speechless. Because their mouths will be full, get it? " - Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Biltong@ZA Test Drive Comments:
A deliciously different and exciting salad. We found the use of blue cheese to be divisive issue amongst the testers, people seem to either love it or hate it. For those in the latter camp, we suggest the use of a good quality crumbly feta. For those of us who are avid fans of blue cheese, then this salad is a treat as is, with the candied pecans giving it an amazing finishing touch.
Serves: 4 as a main
- For the candied pecans, heat your sugar over medium heat until melted.
- Slowly add more heat and as soon as your sugar changes to a golden brown colour, chuck the pecans in and give it a good stir to cover. Melted sugar is hot, so be careful!
- When you have been able to cover all the pecans in sugar, carefully transfer them to a plate to let them cool.
- Now, with your salad, you have free reign; layer your leaves with cucumber, carrot and beetroot, top with handfuls of biltong, a generous layer of blue cheese crumbs and top up with pecans. Garnish if you like.
- The addition of the candied pecans gives such an exciting sweet texture to the already salty biltong and sharp blue cheese. Add your own variety of salad ingredients like cherry tomatoes or red onion.
- Serve with your favourite dressing, a fresh squeeze of lemon juice and fresh ciabatta with butter.