Beef Pot Roast with Rosemary and Pepper
"What I love about roasts is the absolute simplicity with which you can execute a mouthwatering feast, by simply slow roasting it and serving it with delicious vegetables, roasted potatoes and gravy. And not to mention the amazing leftovers." - Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Biltong@ZA Test Drive Comments:
A classic, fuss-free recipe that will keep the family happy. Topside is perfect for a pot roast because of its tenderness and layer of fat that bastes the meat while roasting. With a large joint you can be sure of having great leftovers for sandwiches etc..
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Rub the roast with black pepper and olive oil. Season with salt.
- Heat a large oven safe casserole dish, with a little olive oil and brown the meat on all sides. Transfer to the oven, add the herbs and roast for 2 hours covered, turning it over half way through. You can open the casserole and roast for another few minutes on high, if you want to brown it up even more.
- In the meantime, gently smash the boiled potatoes, and add it to the roasting casserole to roast and crisp up.
- You can also now add the vegetables to a roasting tray and roast for about an hour on the lower oven rack.
- When roasting time is done, remove the meat from the casserole dish, also remove the potatoes, leaving one or two to mash into the cooking juices.
- Reduce the cooking juices to half or until you have desired thickness, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve your meat with gravy, potatoes and vegetables, serves eight.