Beef and Tomato Stew on Shredded Cabbage
"This recipe of Beef and Tomato Stew on Shredded Cabbage is the perfect winter warmer. Let the aromas of beef, tomato, garlic and herbs fill your kitchen for a lazy weekend meal. Or simply add the stew to your slow cooker, and you have a hearty dinner for the crowds. " - Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Biltong@ZA Test Drive Comments:
While the list of ingredients may seem long, once you've whipped them into your stew-pot or slow cooker - you are pretty much done! This a rich, multi-layered stew that will keep everyone coming back for more.
- First off, heat the butter in a large pot and sauté the bacon, onion, celery, garlic, chilli and herbs until soft and brown. Remove from pot.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot and brown the meat, with bones and all. Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, bay leaves and the sautéed ingredients.
- Simmer for about 2 – 3 hours covered, checking every now and then for liquid and adding seasoning to taste. Add the cocktail onions and carrots with one hour cooking time left.
- Before serving, arrange the zucchini, patty pans and broccoli in an oven safe dish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast until tender and coloured.
- Serve stew on shredded cabbage with roasted vegetables.
This Beef and Tomato Stew was delicious served on shredded cabbage – and completely low carb, however if you are not a veggie lover, rather steam some basmati rice to serve with your stew. Add a small can of tomato purée if you like a stronger tomato taste.