- 15 ml olive oil 1 brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 700 gr beef short rib, cut into smaller pieces
- extra oil to fry meat
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 cup water
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cups chopped butternut, to cook for mash
- 2 tablespoons butter for mash
- peas to serve
Fleisherei Test Drive Comments:
This recipe is just true deliciousness, we can see why it was so popular with Anina’s catering clients. Tender meat, slow-cooked in a rich, sticky sauce – full of flavour! You’ve got to try this at least once, otherwise you are missing out! Try using our C-Grade short rib for even more flavour. C-grade beef comes from more mature animals, but as all the DIY biltong makers out there know – maturity brings flavour. If you go for C-Grade just add on a bit of cooking time and remove from the stove when at the desired tenderness.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pot, saute onion and garlic. (We added some chopped carrots and celery, just to boost the flavour base a little more). Add extra oil and brown the meat.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the sauce (up to butternut) and mix through.
- Pour over the meat, add water, give it a good mix, cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours stirring every now and then.
- Boil the butternut until soft, drain, add butter and mash.
- Serve the ribs with butternut mash and peas.