- 4 x minute steaks
- 15 ml olive oil salt and black pepper to season
- 15 ml olive oil 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 whole fresh chillies, finely chopped
- Small bunch fresh oregano, chopped
- Small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and black pepper 5-6 whole ripe tomatoes, blanched and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 brown onions, cut into rings
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped ice berg lettuce
- 4 toasted Portuguese rolls
If you haven’t discovered the versatility behind minute steaks, let me be the one to shed some light. This modest cut of meat is budget friendly, easy to cook and can be transformed in many delicious delights. – Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Fleisherei Test Drive Comments:
We definitely recommend making your own prego sauce on this one – it’s so much better than shop bought and well worth any extra effort.
- First off, heat a grill pan until scorching hot.
- Rub the steaks with olive oil and fry it for about 30 seconds each side.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- For the prego sauce; heat the olive oil in a saucepan and saute the garlic and chilli. Season.
- Add the herbs, tomatoes, puree and sugar.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. You can blitz the sauce in the food processor if you like it more smooth. Remove from heat.
- Heat the butter and saute the onions on high heat. Add a little bit of water, lower the heat and allow to caramelise. Set aside.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and coriander in a bowl and mix it through. Build your steak sandwiches with a layer of iceberg lettuce on a toasted bun.
- Add the steak, prego sauce and onions. Top with tomato and coriander salsa.
- Minute Steaks - A Class R94.50/kg