- 15 ml olive oil.
- 1.5 kg a grade oxtail.
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 2 birds eye chillies, chopped fine.
- 1 brown onion, chopped fine.
- 4 leeks, chopped fine.
- 125 gr good quality bacon, chopped. (Or buy our bacon bits, quick and easy)
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks.
- 1 cup good quality concentrated beef stock.
- 1 tin chopped and peeled tomatoes.
- 2 glasses of red wine.
- A handful of fresh rosemary & thyme.
- 3 bay leaves.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cauliflower mash to serve.
- Rainbow carrots to serve.
Fleisherei Test Drive Comments:
An amazing, deliciously tender and oozingly gorgeous oxtail recipe. So easy, only 30mins of actual work in kitchen. Yes, it’s a long cooking time but you don’t need to give it much attention during that time – just the occasional lazy stir. Go for our C-grade oxtail to get even more flavour, but keep in mind that you might need to lengthen your cooking time.
- First, heat the olive oil in a large iron cast pot or casserole dish. Brown the pieces of meat, and set aside.
- Add the garlic, chilli, onion, leeks, bacon and carrots to the pot, and fry for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Deglaze the pan by adding the stock, tin of tomatoes and wine. Replace the meat back into the liquid, add the herbs, bay leaves and season.
- Leave to slow cook on low heat for 5 hours, covered, stirring every now and then.
- After cooking time, you can remove the meat from the liquid and turn up the heat to reduce the juices.
- Season to taste, serve with mashed cauliflower, rainbow carrots and more red wine. Serves six.