- 4 tablespoons butter.
- 125 gr bacon, cut into bits. (Or just buy our bacon bits and then you’re done!)
- 1 large brown onion, chopped fine.
- 2 celery stalks, chopped fine.
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- 2 whole chilli, finely chopped.
- Handful of fresh rosemary & thyme, finely chopped.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1.5 kg beef shin.
- 2 x cans of chopped peeled tomatoes.
- 1 cup good quality beef stock.
- 3 x bay leaves.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 15 ml olive oil.
- 2 cups cocktail onions, peeled.
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks.
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into chunks.
- 1 cup green and yellow patty pans, cut in half.
- 1 cup broccoli florets.
- Olive oil to roast veggies.
- 2 small cabbages, shredded.
- Fresh herbs for garnish.
– Anina (www.aninas-recipes.com)
Fleisherei Test Drive Comments:
While the list of ingredients may seem long, once you’ve whipped them into your stewpot or slow cooker – you are pretty much done! This a rich, multilayered stew that will keep everyone coming back for more.
- First off, heat the butter in a large pot and sauté the bacon, onion, celery, garlic, chilli and herbs until soft and brown. Remove from pot.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot and brown the meat, with bones and all. Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, bay leaves and the sautéed ingredients.
- Simmer for about 2 – 3 hours covered, checking every now and then for liquid and adding seasoning to taste. Add the cocktail onions and carrots with one hour cooking time left.
- Before serving, arrange the zucchini, patty pans and broccoli in an oven safe dish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast until tender and coloured.
- Serve stew on shredded cabbage with roasted vegetables.
- This Beef and Tomato Stew was delicious served on shredded cabbage – and completely low carb, however, if you are not a veggie lover, rather steam some basmati rice to serve with your stew. Add a small can of tomato purée if you like a stronger tomato taste. First off, heat the olive oil in a wok and saute the ginger, chilli and garlic. Add the liquids and allow to simmer for a few minutes. Transfer the liquid to a bowl and set aside.